Pages

Monday, December 24, 2012

Marx Nativity Set

Toys & Stuff will be taking Tuesday, Christmas Day off.

In keeping with the season we bring you the wonderful little Marx Nativity set which came out in the late 1950s. It worked out well this year as Monday's are normally reserved for tin and today is Christmas Eve. The manger is essentially the same stamping as Marx's Rev War Tavern but with some modifications of course and measures 10 1/2" (26.7cm) L x 7" (17.8cm) H x 4 1/5" (11.4cm) W. It is equipped with a plug-in light and comes with nine people and five animals in a white hard plastic. I ended up buying two of these. The first one I bought had nearly all of the figures glued to floor of the manger. This was good and bad I s'pose. The bad part of course is you can't arrange the figures to suit. The good thing is that the halo's on the figures, which are very often broken, have remained intact. Some time after buying this first set I came across a second manger without its light or figures however I was able to acquire Mexican repos of the Marx figures. The Mexican repos come in a softer, but more brittle plastic in a yellowish-cream color and they have a lot of flashing around the edges which requires careful cleaning. This was a terrific offering from Marx and I'm glad to be able to share it with you. Enjoy!










My Angel not only lost her halo but her wings got clipped as well!


Mexican Marx repos



My box was r-e-a-l rough