Pages

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Bard's Confederate Cavalryman

I still have some Civil War toys stuffed away in the recesses of The Cave and just the other week uncovered this nifty metal figurine. It was given to me many years ago and I know nothing other than it was made in Taiwan for Bard's of Mundelein, Illinois. Bard's sells various decorative chotchkies for the house and after viewing their website I thought it a little odd that a military figurine like this would be offered but I s'pose it does make a nice decoration.

The figure shows a kepi hatted Confederate soldier with sword drawn mounted on a beautiful Chestnut colored horse. The horse is rearing up on its hind legs and the whole figure is beautifully painted by the Taiwanese artisans. There is one fatal flaw to this figure though. It's made of metal, which is heavy, and the greater bulk of the weight is forward of the hind legs. After many years of standing metal fatigue has set in and the poor thing droops to the ground. I was able to bend him up long enough to take photos but he's not goin' to last. For now though - Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina

























No comments:

Post a Comment