Pages

Monday, March 19, 2018

Russian Handpainted 54mm 9th-10th Century Viking Blowing Horn

Okay, I'm gonna take a break from The Flintstone's for a tad while I do some other things. Over the past years I have s-l-o-w-l-y but surely gathering up my hordes to lay siege to the castles infiltrating their way into the collection. One of the iconic warrior poses - in my mind at least - is that of a Viking warrior blowing a horn to either assemble the troops or as the call to charge!  However, one of the problems with toy soldiers is the proclivity of toy manufacturers to make their Viking figures with horns on the helmet! That is the Wagnerian Opera view of Viking warriors we've become used to but is inaccurate. Actually I don't really mind the 'horns-on-helmet' look when playing with toys but it seemed like the scuplts of horn blowing Vikings just looked clumsy. I don't know, maybe it's just me. Okay that being said, when I came across the listing for this custom hand-painted figure from Russia I was hooked (eBay seller is: nataliart2015) and I had to give it a shot. The total with shipping was only $22! It takes a couple of months for the item to arrive but I am totally pleased with the work done - certainly far superior to anything I could attempt to do :-) Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina

















2 comments:

  1. Nicely done eyes on a figure this size. Impressive paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The eyes are still the 'black dot on white field' but are understated so as not to be distracting. I really do like the paint job - at my age I can only dream of doing this kind of work!

      Delete